Friday, March 11, 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras

I wish I could just end the rant with that subject line. Toddlers in Tiaras. Should be 'nuff said. Yet apparently,

"On any given weekend, on stages across the country, little girls and boys parade around wearing makeup, false eyelashes, spray tans and fake hair to be judged on their beauty, personality and costumes."
-TLC

Now regardless of gender (as they claim this happens with boys too...) I am horribly disturbed that there are people out there who AREN'T horribly disturbed by this. That mothers make up their children (as young as TWO!) in spray tans, fake eyelashes, fake toenails (and fingernails, of course), and fake teeth.

Because who wants a natural looking child? Those crooked teeth in an undeveloped mouth, that pale skin that screams "I haven't been alive long enough to get a tan," and nails on hands and feet that are just beginning to grow.

Why are we, as a society, instilling these values in these young girls? That to be beautiful is to be fake? That if you're not beautiful, by these crazy standards a bunch of people behind the media scenes created, then you're just not good enough.

I made the unfortunate decision to watch the Tyra Show which was on this very subject (which is, of course, why I'm writing this). Of course, the parents claim their children want to do it, that they enjoy it, that they can stop any time they want to. Sounds like an addict's mantra to me.

On this same episode, they talked to young girls who compete in these pageants. One of whom said they enjoy it because they want the money.

She was 5. a five-year-old girl saying she wants the money that comes in from pageants. Those are some good values her mother is instilling. Although she did have the next answer down, saying money's good for school. (Later we find out she wanted to spend her $1000 winnings on a cow. Yes, a cow.)

If I had a daughter, who, on her own accord, came to me and told me she wanted to be in a beauty pageant, regardless of whether she was 5, 15, or 25, I'd ask her why. I can't think of a single good reason. To boost confidence? Believe in yourself, work hard, and don't listen to naysayers. To feel beautiful? You are beautiful, naturally. For the attention? Become an actress, a singer, a dancer. Any answer to that question produces a host of other alternatives that, to me, are much healthier options.

Here's why:

Another girl on the show, aged ten, answered a question from the audience. Clearly, her mother had not taught her how to field this one:
"Would you rather be pretty, or smart?"
Her answer:
"I'd rather be pretty. Like, I wouldn't want to be that smart. Like, I'd rather be beautiful than a nerd."
Tyra: And being smart means being a nerd?
Pageant queen: "haha, yeah..."

I wish I could leave it there. Tyra then asks the mother to basically try to do some damage control. The mother literally just reiterates everything her daughter said. That, yes she would probably rather be pretty than smart, but at least she is smart while saying it!

Doesn't sound like it.

When girls, when ANYONE, says they'd rather be pretty than smart, when being a nerd is terrible fate, I have to worry for the fate of this country. I'd like to think, I do think, being smart is an attractive trait in and of itself.

I got news for you killer. We all age. Those looks - they won't last forever. Even surgery isn't gonna stop the aging process. And when that fails, you, like all of us, will have nothing to rely on but your brain.

What's more unattractive than a young girl caked in makeup touting the importance of looks over brains? A mother who embraces it.

No comments:

Post a Comment