Saturday, September 3, 2011

Facebook and Consent




I hope I don't need to write anything to explain why this bothers me. I don't care if it's supposed to be a joke. Saying "Who cares as long as you get some" to a simple comment about consent is atrocious. Consent is not a joke, and cannot be joked about since its gravity is understood by the masses. Maybe when society learns the prevalence of rape, and the disastrous effects the crime has on its victims, maybe then sexual assault, and consent, can enter such immature vernacular. Maybe. (Even then, it will be tasteless)

Where are these kids' mothers? Or any women in their lives who can steer them right? Where is Mark Zuckerberg, who claims to prohibit any hate-fueled or pro-violence groups? This promotes rape - a serious crime of assault. Even as a joke, it is inappropriate at best.

So "who cares as long as you get some"?

I do. And so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment