Sunday, October 9, 2011

Awareness Month

October is...

Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Somehow that seems to slip under the radar with all the hubaloo surrounding Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer affects 1 in 8 women. Domestic Violence affects 1 in 4. That's not to say one is more important than the other, but that both are incredibly pervasive. But only one gets the media's attention.

We have come incredibly far in raising awareness regarding domestic violence. In taking claims seriously, and in bringing justice to those who commit these emotionally and physically scarring acts. But there is clearly still so far to go.

I spent a couple of hours today manning a table for the Women's Center I volunteer for at a festival. I was amazed at how many people came forward with their stories of abuse, including one who's mother had used our shelter. I was grateful for the thanks I received for helping. I was even more grateful to the people who asked about donations and how to help out.

We have come a long way. But as long as people continue to have those stories, then there is still a long way to go. One woman listened politely to what our center offers, and told us luckily she didn't need any information on it. Yes, that is wonderful that she is in a good relationship. But she had two daughters with her. They need to know about it.

I'm always wary when children come up to the table and want an awareness ribbon. I'm afraid the parents will shoo them away, that I'll have to explain what domestic violence is, and I don't want to ruin their innocence. But when I told two young girls that the purple ribbon was not for cancer, but for domestic violence, which is a very pressing problem just like cancer, they nodded in understanding. That's when their mother told me how they sponsor a family in the shelter every year.

When I started dating, my mother gave me a talk on relationship abuse. I wrote it off at the time, but looking back I am so thankful that I have the kind of parent who understands abuse and its disregard for race, social class, intelligence, and culture. I wonder how many parents talk with their kids about what is acceptable in any relationship? We can barely get conversations on sex going - I doubt there's too much talk of violence.

There are bracelets, shirts, posters, bumper stickers, whatever, everywhere crying to "save the ta-ta's" and put an end to breast cancer. I'd like us to take it one step further. I don't just love boobs, I love the whole woman. And I'd like to save all of them from needless pain and suffering.

Whether it's from cancer, or domestic violence.

October is Breast Cancer and Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Let's work to save women.

No comments:

Post a Comment